The only establishments open on public holidays are bars, cafes and restaurants. Museums are usually open except for New Year's Day, Christmas Day and sometimes Labour Day. The big school holiday is July and August; most families go away during this time, so you’ll find the city is quieter, but the downside is that a high percentage of restaurants and entertainment venues may be closed.
Public holidays in Vienna
- New Year’s Day: (Neujahr) 1 January.
- Epiphany: (Heilige Drei Könige) 6 January
- Easter Monday (Ostermontag) variable date, in March or April.
- Labour Day: (Tag der Arbeit) 1 May.
- Ascension Day: (Christi Himmelfahrt) Sixth Thursday after Easter.
- Whit Monday (Pfingstmontag)Sixth Monday after Easter.
- Corpus Christi: (Fronleichnam) Second Thursday after Pentecost.
- Assumption: (Maria Himmelfahrt) 15 August.
- Austrian National Day: (Nationalfeiertag) 26 October.
- All Saints’ Day: (Allerheiligen) 1 November.
- Immaculate Conception: (Mariä Empfängnis) 8 December.
- Christmas Eve: (Heiligabend) 24 December; everything closed afternoon.
- Christmas Day: (Christfest) 25 December.
- St Stephen’s Day: (Stephanitag) 26 December.